Making new eating choices and health choices can be a big change. Adding in new foods or eliminating poor exercise habits can be a big sacrifice. These sacrifices are worth it though when you start to achieve your health goals. Did you know your mattress and your pillows could be working against your health goals? Find out how your bed could work negatively affecting your health without you even realizing it.
Your bed could work against your health goals
We want to see you succeed at reaching your health goals. Many aren’t aware of the strong impact that sleep or a lack thereof, can have on reaching health goals. The wrong pillow or bedding could be impacting your sleep through neck pain or even allergies. We wanted to take a few minutes and break those down for you in hopes that you will make a quality night of sleep a priority.
How lack of sleep impacts weight gain
Life has gotten busy in the last few decades. Many people are working much longer hours and sacrificing sleep in order to keep up with the pace of things. While this can seem like it is normal, it can be working against your overall fitness goals. The lack of sleep can leave you short-changed in a variety of areas. One of those is with your weight goals. Here are a few ways that lack of sleep can contribute to weight gain.
- Lack of sleep can limit motivation - When you are tired, it can be easier to skip workouts, choose the easier route when walking, or limit your workout. This lack of motivation is directly related to sleep and can keep you from achieving your health goals for the week. A lack of sleep can contribute to an overall lack of motivation to push through and stay consistent with fitness goals.
- Lack of sleep can lead to bad eating choices - When you are tired it can be tempting to reach for the easy food option. That could mean grabbing a snack that is less healthy for you in a hurry or driving through a drive-thru instead of packing a healthier option. This lack of sleep can have huge impacts on your health goals if you find yourself less motivated to make the right food choices.
- Lack of sleep can work against your overall health - Many scientists have proven that people who don’t get sufficient sleep are more likely to get sick. This could be as simple as a common cold. However, that sickness can work against your fitness goals as you will need to take a break to heal from the sickness.
- Lack of sleep can lead to over-eating - There are many studies that link over-eating to a lack of proper sleep. There are debates as to the why behind it. Some theorize that when someone is not sleeping appropriately they are more likely to snack or eat as a way to try to increase their overall energy levels. This can work against health goals in a big way.
How do you get quality sleep?
If lack of sleep works against weight goals, getting a good night of rest seems like the first step in any health plan. Getting a good night of sleep can seem a bit difficult though. There are so many things to get done and it can be hard to truly rest. So how do you get a quality night of sleep? Here are a few tips to help you sleep better so that you can crush your health goals.
- It starts with the pillow and mattress combination - Sleeping on a bad mattress or pillow can work against sleep more than most other causes. That is why it is incredibly important to find yourself a quality side sleeper pillow, back and side sleeper pillow, or organic pillows that will better support you. Making the right choice with your pillows can help you to get better sleep at night. Choose a quality pillow that supports your neck and spine well so that you can get up the next day and achieve your health goals.
- Remove distractions - It can be tempting to always have the phone, tv, or other distractions on. In fact, many people will answer the phone if it rings even if it rings in the middle of the night. Take some time to remove distractions that limit your sleep. This could mean putting your phone on do not disturb mode or setting a time when the tv goes off each night. By removing distractions you can get better sleep and be ready to conquer your days.
- Have a sleep routine/schedule - Sleep schedules and routines aren’t just for children. Having a quality sleep routine or schedule can be essential for adults as well. Setting a time that you go to bed each night can help your body to know when it is time to rest and let go of the busyness of the day. By setting some simple boundaries around your sleep schedule you will be more likely to prioritize rest.
- Don’t be afraid to say no - One of the biggest thieves of rest, is the word yes. People will quickly overcommit to a variety of tasks and leave themselves overwhelmed and over-tired. One of the quickest ways to improve your sleep quality is to know how to say no to things you don’t need to take on. The simple act of saying no can free up your time to prioritize proper rest for your health.
Sleep is only one part of your health goals but it’s a big part!
We understand that sleep is only one component of reaching your overall health goals. However, taking the time to get a quality night of sleep can give you the energy you need to better reach those goals. With a proper night’s rest, you will be better prepared to wake up and take on the challenges of changing your overall health and fitness. With a few simple changes to your sleep routine and sleep arrangements, you can get better rest and be more fully equipped to conquer your health goals!